Stress is one of the major contributors to the cost of sickness absence for businesses. It occurs when high levels of pressure make staff feel unable to cope. So, it’s important that business owners are able to strike a balance between healthy pressure (which can actually drive performance) and stress which can take its toll on the body and mind, as well as hampering productivity.
Did you know…?
- People who are more physically active cope better with pressure?
- Your energy levels dictate not only what you are able to do, but how well you do it?
- You can manage your energy levels by treating your body well by eating well, drinking plenty of water, exercising regularly, getting enough sleep and having dedicated ‘me time’?
- Different types and colours of food contain different vitamins and minerals so it’s important that we eat a ‘rainbow’?
- Quick fixes such as coffee and chocolate give us a temporary energy boost but make us feel worse in the long run?
- Our brain cells only operate well if they are properly hydrated, which improves concentration, focus and mood?
- We should drink around six to eight glasses of water each day?
- Exercise gets rid of adrenaline produced when we’re stressed and enhances mood by releasing endorphins?
- Blue light from smartphones, tablets and laptops prevents melatonin (sleep hormones) being produced?
- People who regularly exercise quote ‘me time’ as one of the top benefits of following a regular exercise programme?
Cutting the cost of sickness absence
UK occupational health advisor Medigold Health work with your company to assess stress levels and ensure that your employees are looking after themselves well. This can help to prevent illness occurring, stop it spreading if it does occur and help staff to perform well even when the pressure is on.
Our aim, at Medigold, is to reduce the cost of sickness absence for your firm by helping your employees to make the right lifestyle changes and sustain them.