Leading occupational health advisors, Medigold Health, have put together a 5 Watchwords and a 6 point plan to promote the mental wellbeing of staff.
The 5 watchwords are:
- Connection – Connecting with people around you
- Activity – Find the activity you enjoy and make it part of your life
- Learning – Keep learning new skills to give you a sense of achievement and a new confidence
- Giving – Give to others – even the smallest act can count, even a smile
- Noticing – Take notice and be more aware of the present moment, including your feelings and thoughts, your body and the world around you
Strategies for success in 2017
- Set realistic goals – Setting them too low might make them seem achievable, but insignificant. Setting them too high may make them impossible and demoralising.
- Be ready for obstacles ahead – Think about what you want to achieve and the hurdles that you are likely to face. Then have some tactics up your sleeve for getting around these obstacles.
- Make short term, rather than long goals – Not only will it seem less daunting, but if you achieve it, you will have conquered the toughest period for any lifestyle change: the first 60 days.
- Another proven strategy is to add a new behaviour, rather than take away an existing one. If you say ‘I’m going to go for a walk three times a week’ you’re far more likely to succeed with your resolution than if you say ‘I’m going to give up chocolate forever’.
- Share – If you let a friend know about your goal, they can be a source of encouragement and motivation along the way.
- Don’t give up at the first attempt. If you fail once, don’t abandon your resolution. It is said that 1 in 5 people who achieved their resolutions were only successful on the sixth attempt.
Preventing mental ill health in the workplace
The best way for employers to reduce the cost of sickness absence is to opt for prevention rather than ‘cure’ approach. This is why Medigold Health offers businesses extensive mental health support for employees, covering:
- Counselling (either face-to-face or on the telephone)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Occupational health advisor consultations
- Access to specialists
Medigold Health can help your employees deal with stress, anxiety and depression, as well as a range of other health issues. If you are looking to improve health in your workplace and reduce the cost of sickness absence contact Medigold Health today.