The difference between an occupational health physician and an ordinary medical practitioner is that the former focuses on the patient or individual’s health in relation to the workplace. While this is a more specific approach than a general practitioner (GP) might take, UK occupational health providers provide a really valuable service; one that benefits workers and employers alike.
UK occupational health companies and physicians must have a broad understanding of clinical medicine, so it is worth checking that they are fully qualified. According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), UK occupational health providers should have the following as a minimum requirement:
- A Diploma in Occupational Medicine (DOccMed) for occupational health doctors. You can check with the General Medical Council and Faculty of Occupational Medicine to confirm qualifications and fitness to practice.
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) registration for occupational health nurses. You can check the Council’s website to confirm that occupational nurses have the relevant qualifications and are properly registered.
The more qualified UK occupational health providers are, the more likely they are to provide comprehensive risk assessments and health surveillance within the workplace. For example, specialist training is usually needed to assess respiratory and noise-related problems as well as conditions such as hand-arm vibration syndrome.
Occupational health physicians should be able to:
- Assess any risks to the health, safety and wellbeing of employees
- Have a good understanding of legislation relating to workplace health and safety
- Be able to monitor members of staff for signs of stress and other work-related health issues
- Suggest relevant treatment should any health issues arise
- Work with employers to reduce employee absence, and particularly long-term sickness
The team at UK occupational health company, Medigold, are qualified up to senior consultant level. In addition to the DOccMed, it employs occupational health physicians with Associateship of the Faculty of Occupational Medicine (AFOM), Membership of the Faculty (MFOM) and Fellow of the Faculty of Occupational Medicine (FFOM) credentials. Its occupational health nurses are also highly qualified.
Contact Medigold today to find out how its occupational health staff can help to protect you and your business from work-related sickness and injury.